Frequently Asked Questions

U.S. Coverages

  • Can my U.S. Insurance help me?

    Before leaving home, you should inquire if your U.S. insurance policy will cover damage suffered by your vehicle in Mexico. If so, ask if the policy has restrictions or limitations in this regard, such as miles from the border, or number of days in Mexico. Once you've familiarized yourself with your own auto policy and the extent of its coverage in Mexico you can then proceed to make a more qualified decision towards your Mexican insurance needs.

  • Why do I need a Mexican Insurance?

    Mexican insurance is not mandatory for you to travel into the immediate cities and towns along the U.S./Mexico border, but in the event that you are involved in an automobile accident, a Mexican Insurance policy greatly reduces the chances of being detained or put in jail in Mexico, while also limiting the financial burden you might face after an accident. There are basically only two ways to solve this: to pay all damages on the spot in cash ( which we do not suggest) or you can prove your financial liability by presenting a Mexican Insurance policy. Please note, however, that Mexican insurance is not "diplomatic immunity." An accident in Mexico may still be determined to be a felony. U.S. or any other non-Mexican insurance does not cover your liability for potential accidents.

  • Will my U.S. or CAnada Insurance cover me in Mexico?

    Policies from U.S. and all other non-Mexican Insurance companies are not considered proof of financial responsibility. While a few major U.S. Insurance Companies cover damages to your own vehicle in Mexico up to a small distance south of the border (usually no more than 25 miles), they do not cover damages to other parties. This is why any U.S. policy must be accompanied by at minimum, a Liability Only policy from a Mexican Insurance Company

  • What information is needed to complete a policy?

    You will want to have your driver's license, current registration, and domestic proof of insurance at hand. If you would like collision, fire and theft coverage, you will need the lienholder's contact information (if applicable). You may purchase your insurance with AMEX, Visa , MasterCard, Discover and by Pay Pal System.

Services and products

  • What if I did not buy an adequate number of days of insurance?

    If following your completed policy transaction you realize you have made an error and need additional time of coverage you have two options ...

    • Simply buy another policy for the additional term of coverage, making certain it starts at the exact hour and day your first policy ends so there is no lapse in coverage
    • Buy another policy for the entire adequate period of coverage and call us to authorize our cancellation (and cost refund) of your first policy.
  • Is it necessary to name every conceivable driver on the policy?

    No. It is, first of all, absolutely necessary to name the registered owner, and if the registered owner will not be accompanying the vehicle to Mexico it is important to name at least the primary driver, or anyone who will likely always be with the vehicle. But it is not necessary to name every conceivable driver on the policy.

  • Can I buy the insurance in Mexico?

    It's risky to purchase a Mexican auto insurance policy in Mexico. First of all, you must drive your vehicle to the insurance office, and until you reach the office you're obviously driving without insurance. Secondly, in the case of a dispute with your claim or your agent's conduct, you have no formal recourse against the agent in Mexico as you would against the agent in the U.S. (customarily through state regulatory agency, such as Department of Insurance)

  • What if my vehicle has two registered owners or a driver who does not own the vehicle?

    Your Mexican Insurance policy does not require that all of the owners or drivers of the vehicle be listed on the policy face. Any driver must have a valid driver's license.

  • I do not speak Spanish. What happens if I get involved in an accident?

    Ana's personnel in the claims department are fluent in both Spanish and English

What to do in case of accident?

  • Will I go to jail if I have an accident?

    If serious injury has not occurred, a Mexican insurance policy might help reduce red tape and allow the motorist to be on his way sooner rather than later, but the policy should not be construed as your "ticket out of jail”.

    Some visitors to Mexico are unable to understand why motorists are temporarily incarcerated in Mexico following an automobile accident where injuries or deaths occurred. In the first place, serious injuries or deaths have been committed against innocent persons due to someone's negligence. It is up Mexican authorities to determine who the negligent person is. While that investigation is in motion, all drivers involved in the accident must be detained. Any person involved in the commission of a crime, and I have stated that an automobile accident in Mexico is considered in principle to be a penal offense, must be detained in a secure place to prevent their escape. The only secure place is a holding cell and, therefore, the motorist finds himself detained awaiting the investigation of his involvement. A visitor, if allowed to remain free, may likely flee for the border. This is Mexican law, and foreign citizenship confers no special rights in Mexico.

  • What are some examples of what is NOT covered on a Mexican auto insurance policy?

    As important as it is to know what is covered, it is worthwhile to also know what is NOT covered. Some of the losses and/or expenses, which are not covered, include pilferage, vandalism, lodging expenses, toll calls, and loss of wages.

  • What happens if we have an accident in Mexico? What shall we do? How do we follow up?

    If you have an accident in Mexico, immediately call the 01-800 number included in the claims instructions page, which is part of your policy. The adjusters of ANA Seguros will respond immediately to the scene and provide further instructions based on your specific situation.

  • What are some other important things to know?

    • The policy is null and void if driver responsible for the accident was under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
    • Policy is null and void if driver does not have a valid driver's license.
    • A towed vehicle must be described on the policy; otherwise it voids all coverage in case of an accident.
    • Theft of parts or accessories to the vehicle is not covered, unless the theft of those parts or accessories was the outcome of a total theft of the vehicle.
    • Should a claim be presented, the insured must declare the existence of any other insurance with another company covering the same risk.
    • All claims must be reported in Mexico before insured, returns to U.S. Failing to do so subjects the claim to a denial by the Mexican insurance company.
    • In case of total theft of the vehicle, the owner of the vehicle or the person who had possession of the vehicle must file an Auto Theft report in person with Mexican authorities.
    • In case of an impounded vehicle, the registered owner of the vehicle is the only one authorized to sign for it's release, and it must be done in person.